Amid the recent COVID-19 concerns, the Town of Porcupine Plain and Council are taking careful measures to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 within our municipality. Our top priority at this time is to protect the health of our citizens and our staff. We would ask that residents and business owners please refer to the Town of PP COVID-19 Information Booklet for information on our community’s response and for details of supports and resources that are available.
As the situation evolves, we will continue to respond and provide updates. Please check back to our website or visit us on Facebook for more information on the Town of Porcupine Plain’s response. In the meantime, we wish you and your family the best of health and we look forward to seeing you in-person in the near future.
The Town of Porcupine Plain is located on Highway 23, in the Northeast Parkland adjacent to Greenwater Lake Provincial Park. Rich agricultural land, rolling hills, mixed forest, and numerous lakes make this one of the most beautiful areas in the Province! Nestled within the Porcupine Provincial Forest, and just a short drive from Greenwater Lake Provincial Park, the Town of Porcupine Plain is a nature lover’s dream! While Porcupine Plain’s main industry is agriculture, the Town is also a four-season tourism destination. The Town offers ample opportunity to get outside and explore nature – enjoy a scenic hike or lounge on the beach at nearby Greenwater Lake; relish quality time with family and friends while quadding, fishing, and ice fishing; or take in the beautiful landscape while cross-country skiing. The area also boasts some of the best moose, elk, and whitetail deer hunting found anywhere! The local snowmobile club grooms over 100 miles of pristine snowmobile trails, which connect to the groomed trails of Hudson Bay, Kelvington, Lintlaw, and Greenwater Lake Provincial Park, for an unforgettable snowmobiling experience.
Porcupine Plain is truly Nature’s Gift!
News & Notices
Message from our MLA
I want to take a couple of minutes of your time to share my observations on our community’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
First, we cannot appreciate enough the work of our healthcare providers in hospital, clinic, long-term care, emergency and home care roles. They go home from long, challenging shifts daily and many self-isolate in their homes to protect their families. These are difficult times and we honour them for their service. Thank you also to all our emergency responders.
I want to thank the service clubs and community organizations that are providing important support for the most vulnerable in our communities including seniors, those with physical and intellectual disabilities and those who are unable to get out on their own.
Thank you to the businesses that have closed under the guidelines. We all recognize that this will be a very difficult time for you. Your customers respect your commitment to keeping people safe. Thank you to the businesses that are being asked to stay open to provide essential services. I sincerely appreciate your challenge and appreciate the staff and resources you support in the community. Many individuals and businesses are being creative in finding solutions to urgent community needs. Thank you.
We must follow the self-isolation and social distance guidelines to protect all who are providing services across our towns, villages and in rural areas. The vast majority of citizens are doing exactly that but we cannot let our guard down. We have already learned of COVID-19 infections through community transmission. Our grandparents, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren and friends need us all to play our part for responsible distancing.
Thank you also to the media for keeping everyone informed on the hour by hour changes experienced across the country, around the world and most importantly as it affects us in our communities.
Stay well and be supportive while staying apart.
Porcupine Plain – Business & Service Updates
- As of April 2, 2020, the Parkland Co-op Grocery Store will only be allowing 10 people in the store at one time. This is as much for our residents’ health and safety as it is for the health and safety of the Parkland Co-op employees.
- Due to sanitary concerns, all parks and playgrounds in Porcupine Plain will be CLOSED until further notice to limit the spread of COVID-19 in our community. For the safety of your family and others around us, refrain from using any and all playground equipment at this time!
- At this time, the Carwash & water pickup remains open. Hours will be be 8a.m. – 6p.m. and precautions & restrictions are in place for customer safety.
- Religious Services:
- The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Church will be live streaming masses with Bishop Albert on the Roman Catholic Diocese of Prince Albert Facebook Page. Visit www.padiocese.ca for mass times.
- The Redeemer Lutheran Church will be live streaming services on the Christ Lutheran Church of Tisdale SK Facebook Page. Sermons can also be emailed upon request.
- The Full Gospel Church will be live streaming services on the Porcupine Full Gospel Church Facebook Page.
- From the Porcupine Plain Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses:
- Because of the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have suspended meetings at the Kingdom Hall and are now having meetings online. If you would like to join us, please call or text 306-278-3366 for more information.
- We have to special meetings coming up. On April 5th, a 30-minute special talk will be given worldwide, “Whose Leadership Can You Trust?” It will be available to all on www.JW.org. You can stream this talk anytime on April 5th.
- Then we invite you all to the worldwide annual observance of Jesus Christ’s death on April 7th. You can watch this 45-minute service on www.JW.org starting at 7:30p.m. Last year, over 20,000,000 people observed this important event.
- Please be safe and take care of each other.
- Below is a listing of business closure and restrictions for Town of Porcupine Plain businesses. (click image for larger view)